This short trail starts from Feriolo lakeside, where a signpost tells about the disaster of March 15th 1867. “La Voce”, a local newspaper, states that Maggiore lake’s water swallowed some houses, a tract of road and some inhabitants of the town. It was probably caused by a mix of factors among which some houses built along the shore, the constant stress on the subsoil caused by the marble quarries’ mines and the building of a dock (On YouTube a video shows the remains of the houses submerged by the lake).
The track goes on along the trail and the mule track that take to the Feriolo watchtower. The “Torraccia” was part of a triangle of forts that, with Suna and Mergozzo, dominated the Montorfano and the entrance to Toce’s plain, an important communication hub.
There are other towers similar to this one, like Battigio, Premia and Crodo towers, used to defend the Ossola land.
The Feriolo tower is 9 meters tall. Built with white and pink marble, it was restored in 1400 by Ludovico Il Moro and it was used by the Napoleonic army and later during the First World War.